Did the threat of a federal government shutdown have you worried? | Chatterbox

Home > Blogs > Chatterbox > Archives > 2011 > April > 13 > Entry

Did the threat of a federal government shutdown have you worried?

Did the threat of a federal government shutdown have you worried?

ddnchatJoeEllis.JPG
JOE ELLIS

JOE ELLIS, Beavercreek: “Yes. My parents are both retirees from the Air Force. Their paychecks would have been affected. And there are national defense issues when Congress isn’t able to act on the budget.”

ddnchatJewelCasey.JPG
JEWEL CASEY

JEWEL CASEY, Fairborn: “It wouldn’t affect me, but it would affect my friend in the Army in South Korea. If she wouldn’t get paid, that just wouldn’t be right.”

ddnchatJeffCox.JPG
JEFF COX

JEFF COX, Hamilton: “I don’t think it would bother me, not right away. I always think they’ll work it out before it gets that far. That’s big enough that they won’t let it go very long.”

ddnchatLarryWoolley.JPG
LARRY WOOLLEY

LARRY WOOLLEY, Springfield: “I was concerned about it. My daughter works at the base, and she was worried. And the military not getting paid is not good. We’ve got people fighting three wars, and if they don’t get a paycheck, then why risk their lives?”

ddnchatBradShaver.JPG
BRAD SHAVER

BRAD SHAVER, Cincinnati: “I spend a lot of time in national parks — rock climbing and camping out. If the parks were affected, that would affect me.”

Comments

By James Mark

April 13, 2011 6:45 AM | Link to this

No, I was not worried the Fed Govt. would shut down. The politicians knew the public was watching them. Someone should shut down the Obama Administration. Obama is a follower, not a leader. His buddy George Soros should be blocked from entering the United States. The man destroys government and is a Marxist for sure. I don’t appreciated Cass Sunstein because he is anti-gun rights and Van Jones is a communist. Just great! These are our President’s associates! I am opposed to the net neutrality! It is censorship!

By Willie Krockett

April 13, 2011 6:59 AM | Link to this

I agree with Mr. Mark. The govt. came close but I think they intended to pull out before it happened. I do wish the healthcare bill could have been defunded along with other Obama control factors. The President associates with like minded people as Soros and thinks we could want to have a government like that? Obama must go in 2012 or we will lose our freedom in so many ways. The healthcare bill must be destroyed! Who wants government controlling the whole healthcare industry? Who wants government allowing these Islamists and their Mosques to grow without being carefully watched by intelligence? Personally, I have no regard for Islamists. Jesus Christ has been America’s saving grace and will continue to be in my heart and mind.

By Thelma Slade

April 13, 2011 7:11 AM | Link to this

You men have it right! The govt. was not going to shut down! How did we end up with such a mess and getting Obama in as President? The man had too much attachment to Kenya and that Muslim stuff to be a decent American President. He has plans for us we will have to fight if we want to keep our freedom from a Titanic Government that controls way too much. Obama should not be in control of our military, foreign relations or policy making. He is a problem waiting to happen. I am fed up with his thought that govt. can live our lives for us!

By Love Dayton

April 13, 2011 8:48 AM | Link to this

What are the 3 posters smoking? There is a push not to allow ignorant people from voting and/or a requirement to pass a citizenship test. 3 terrific examples of why the “average American” should not be allowed to procreate nor vote.

By chuckles

April 13, 2011 8:55 AM | Link to this

to luv dayton - as usual no one else is allowed an opinion if it disagrees with yours. put this in your pipe and smoke it - if this country was not hell bent on world domination then we would be riding high on the hog.

By Doom & Gloom

April 13, 2011 9:17 AM | Link to this

Not worried. Brace yourselves because the country is going to suffer severly, and soon. check back with me in 1 year.

By earl

April 13, 2011 9:18 AM | Link to this

The next scare tactic the socialists will use to continue their growing plunder is to broadcast all the dire consequences of not raising the debt ceiling. Remember socialists seek to instill the idea that your very existence is dependent upon government.

By Lea

April 13, 2011 9:33 AM | Link to this

Simple budget cut. QUIT SENDING MY TAX MONEY TO OTHER COUNTRIES!!!!! Let’s look to home first. C’mon, pols!

By Tony

April 13, 2011 9:46 AM | Link to this

I wasn’t worried about the government shutting down. Neither party knows what to do anymore b/c they all have their own agendas in mind. Not sure why a typical voter in this country anymore thinks that the Republicans are Libertarians and Democrats want to control every aspect of their lives. Both parties want big government…think about it, that is how they have jobs! What we need in this country is someone closer to the middle but neither party will let that happen so the people will suffer in the long run. The only Republican that has a chance to beat Obama in 2012 right now is Pawlenty, but most Republicans will see him as too liberal.

By Love Dayton

April 13, 2011 9:58 AM | Link to this

Tax money to other countries? Moronic! Less than 1% of our tax revenues are used for foreign aid! Strategic alliances are built on that relatively small sum. Lea - thank God you’re not a diplomat nor anyone with real influence in this world!

By Squirrellygirl

April 13, 2011 9:58 AM | Link to this

Our problem IS our government. It is too big, too powerful, too intrusive into delving into our personal lives, and it isn’t doing its job. The federal government is supposed to secure our borders, but instead we here of evidence of terrorists and drug cartels cutting off people’s heads and mass graves, shooting Americans in the head while they are on vacation, and ranchers being assassinated for defending their land in America. Meanwhile Obama wages a 3rd war without Congress’ approval and only based on Responsibility to Protect by the UN. Since when does our president use UN for his marching orders, and since when does our Congress not call him out on this? No one is doing their jobs. But go ahead and use our military, who are giving their lives to defend our country, as bargaining chips. At the end of the day, we spent more than what we saved, and we’re still headed over the edge. This all fits into Obama’s agenda very nicely. This chicago thug turned president has too many shady affiliations with people like Soros, Ayers (who wants to eliminated 25 million Americans who refuse to be “re-educated”), Van Jones, Rev Wright (GD America—really, Mr. President??). You would think Pres Obama did everything all by himself the way he took credit at the Lincoln Memorial, even though he poked his head in the debates 3 days before our gov’t almost shut down. Obama is a threat to our nation. He will eventually wage war with Israel at UN’s command because Israel is next on the R2P list. Didn’t you know that? The socialists are getting ready to attack Israel in May, and the unions have been supporting the days of rage and the chaos all over the world and here in US. If trillions aren’t cut from next year’s budget, neither the Republicans nor the Democrats are serious about cutting our debt. No taxes. We don’t have a tax problem, we have a spending spree problem. Gut the hc bill that is unconstitutional and requires tax payer funded abortions. I won’t be satisfied until all of the socialists that are trying to overthrow our government are prosecuted and in prison. I wonder if they will take over before anybody of authority stands up to them… I don’t think things are going all that well with our government, and I don’t have a rosy outlook on America supporting our former ally, Israel. Obama has ruined America. He continues to send our tax money out of our country to Mexico for auto jobs and China for manufacturing jobs. Obama should have to answer for his crimes against America.

By Love Dayton

April 13, 2011 10:00 AM | Link to this

S-girl - do you work for a living? You seem to have alot of time to post on absolutely every available article. I’m calling for a moratorium on S-girl for about 6 months.

By @Love Dayton

April 13, 2011 11:03 AM | Link to this

Are you paid by the socialist party to post numerous blogs saying that Americans are stupid and need the Government’s help? Because your posts are boring. We already know that socialists are trying to take over our government. You have anything new? Please go back to bed. You need some beauty sleep.

By Lo Loss....

April 13, 2011 11:03 AM | Link to this

Certainly those paid directly by the federal government would have been thrown into a tailspin, but the rest of the country would not have missed the leach that is the federal government. It I’m not interested in mortgaging the future to get by today while our federal government leadership spends resources no longer available like drunken sailors, and The Lead Drunk comes on tv to tell us there should be higher taxes on top classes which happen to be the only people who create real jobs in this country. We are governed by either complete frauds, or idiots, or likely both.

By No Loss....

April 13, 2011 11:03 AM | Link to this

By No Loss....

April 13, 2011 11:03 AM | Link to this

By Lo Loss....

April 13, 2011 11:03 AM | Link to this

By Squirrellygirl

April 13, 2011 11:15 AM | Link to this

I don’t think this administration takes the American voters seriously. They call us extremists because we call for them to cut back on spending, yet Obama calls for an increase of 1.4 trillion and wants up to raise our debt ceiling. I would like to see Obama have to adjust his spending and keep within the current ceiling. I would like to see the hc bill gutted, too. We need to get serious about cutting spending and make sure Obama doesn’t get away with raising our taxes any more. He’s like a demon child who is bombing Libya and getting ready to bomb Israel. He’s out of control.

By Common Sense

April 13, 2011 1:36 PM | Link to this

@ SG, who is calling people extremists for wanting the govt. to cut back on spending? Unless you are refering to the tea party people. Of which I have to ask, are you a follower of said party. And would you be posting under different monikers? I read last week someone made that claim about you.

By Common Sense

April 13, 2011 1:36 PM | Link to this

By raiel

April 13, 2011 1:47 PM | Link to this

I was worried for the soldier’s who paychecks would be affected, for our deficit since the national parks would stop bringing in tourist revenue of 32 million of a day. I have no confidence in a Congress controlled by a group who has no idea how government works. When you don’t have the votes to get something past Senate or President, you compromise. And, this fight was over about 0.5% of the federal budget. I’m glad they decided against the shutdown in the end.

By earl

April 13, 2011 2:45 PM | Link to this

@CS, Chuckie Shumer, Harry Reid , Nancy Pelosi,… Matter of fact, Shumer said he was specifically instructed by the democratic caucus to use the word “extreme” when discussing anyone espousing reducing the size of government and the amount of government spending. An aside: Don’t you know that when you attack SQ she rightfully interprets that she has hit the mark?

By Lea

April 13, 2011 2:47 PM | Link to this

LOL - LD, you assume I am speaking only of foreign aid. I find this extremely humorous! We send our people to “help”, we give huge tax breaks to companies who send their manufacturing/customer service out of the country, and you have no earthly idea how much we spend shipping parts, food, and other things overseas. Thank you for the laugh…

By @common sense

April 13, 2011 3:07 PM | Link to this

“…Of which I have to ask, are you a follower of said party. And would you be posting under different monikers? I read last week someone made that claim about you.” No. I’m still SQ. What is a moniker? Common Sense, I don’t have to pretend to be someone else. BTW, how do you like your President ignoring the tax payers and requesting a tax hike? You like that? I like it when President Obama ignores the tax payers. You know why? He’s going to have difficulty getting reelected, that’s why. I expect to see flies flying out of his mouth anytime now. You all ready to go bomb Israel? That’s next on Prezzy’s agenda, it’s on UN’s agenda, and Cass Sustein’s wife’s agenda, Samantha Power. She got UN to pass R2P (Responsibility to Protect) and she got Obama to bomb Libya on UN’s marching orders. Pretty neat, huh? I think Obama is a nut, and I hope he gets impeached before he bombs Israel. At the very least, he should be impeached for bombing Libya without Congress’ approval. Where is Congress on this? MIA? Yeah, I thought so…

By Common Sense

April 13, 2011 4:00 PM | Link to this

@SG, A moniker is a slang personal name (ie) Squirrellygirl, Common Sense, Love Dayton, Doom and Gloom ect. Or basically a pretend name to post by.

By Jean

April 13, 2011 4:20 PM | Link to this

Keeping on hating, this iw why america is going to hell is because there is so much hate in it. You people have no respect and most of you don’t care about no one but your own selfish wants and needs. You think things are bad now you wait if there isn’t a change in the hate that is shown you will be wishing the government control your life. America is so selfish and that is what will destroy it not President Obama

By earl

April 13, 2011 4:34 PM | Link to this

For those of you with a visceral hatred of the TEA party, here lies the secret for eliminating them from the politic scene: TAKE AWAY THEIR FOOD! Think of the TEA party as the nation’s immune system seeking out and devouring foreign bodies and ideas. TEA party numbers have grown much as the human body’s white blood cell count grows in response to an infection or pathogen. Yes, the TEA party is like a sci-fi monster; the more you attack it, the stronger it gets. Back to the solution of taking away its food. Get rid of liberals, of socialists, of marxists, of progressives, of communists, of cowardly moderates. Remove the power of these subversive agents to the ideas of liberty and freedom and you will remove the rallying cause which unites TEA party patriots. Libs, if you want the TEA party to go away, rediscover what it means to be an American and act accordingly.

By Squirrellygirl

April 14, 2011 11:37 AM | Link to this

Earl, you are a poet. I’m a fan of yours, too. Love your way with words. You talk in pictures. I love it!