Jim Bucher leaves Channel 2 | Latest news

Home > Blogs > Seen and Overheard > Archives > 2013 > January > 11 > Entry

Jim Bucher leaves Channel 2

WDTN and one of the area’s most recognizable local television personalities have parted ways.

Jim+Bucher.JPG
2001 photo of Jim Bucher (photo by Skip Peterson)

Here is what reporter and cameraman Jim Bucher said to me in a Facebook message today:

“WDTN has been a wonderful employer for almost 30 years, but alas all great things must come to an end.
We have mutually agreed to part ways and wish nothing but the best for my TV 2 family.
I will now be pursuing other options possibly in TV or otherwise.
To all the folks in the Miami Valley that let me tell their wonderful stories, a big thank you. It’s been fun. Here’s to lots of laughs and love …

Bucher posted a similar message on his own Facebook page.

Contacted earlier this week about swirling rumors that Bucher was no longer with the station, WDTN General Manager Joe Abouzeid said he could not say whether or not Bucher was still employed at the station.

ddn050107DVACauction28.JPG
Jim Bucher with Doug Mann at the Dayton Visual Art Center’s 14th Art Auction (Photo by Peter Wine)

He again said today that it is against company policy to comment of such personnel matters.

Bucher is perhaps best known for his “Bucher’s Beat” segment.

Some sources say Bucher’s desk was empty last Friday, the same day two Fox 45/ ABC 22 anchors - Shannon Sims and Dan Carroll - learned they had been terminated.

Read: Local TV stations fires 2 anchors

ddn0829dalew375deep.JPG
In this archive photo, Jim Bucher, dons a peacock suit in honor of the stations switch from ABC to NBC. He is at Deeds Point with Orville and Wilbur. STAFF PHOTO BY BILL REINKE.

What do you think? Note: This is a blog.- a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer; also : the contents of such a site ( Merriam-webster)

Twitter with me at DDNSmartmouth. Have an item for Seen and Overheard? Click here.

Comments

By Robyn

January 11, 2013 1:14 PM | Link to this

What the heck is WDTN thinking? I'm done watching their news for now. Buch was the reason I switched from Channel 7 in the first place. It's hard to imagine someone could replace him in any capacity! And really Channel 2, Dayton NEEDS to hear some good news on a regular basis,

By cant

January 11, 2013 1:29 PM | Link to this

Thank you for some great memories Bucher. I had the pleasure of being at a mom and pop stop and was rather impressed at your professional attitude and pride in your work. Then I was continued to be impressed when customers would come in a year later and say they saw us on your segment. Thank you again. Turning off WDTN for good.

By Evil Eye Gypsy

January 11, 2013 1:44 PM | Link to this

This is bad news. His segments were always fun, and he seems like a really good guy. Best of luck to him!

By Harry Koontz

January 11, 2013 1:44 PM | Link to this

I used to watch Jim all the time but he has not been on TV for a few years now. In fact I did even know he was still at WDTN.

By Skeptic

January 11, 2013 1:52 PM | Link to this

Sorry to see him go. Big mistake WDTN! I expect him to be replaced by a series of bland, unappealing, and completely interchangeable “personalities” in the future. It’s no wonder nobody watches the local news anymore.

By LARRY HART DELTA AIRLINES RET.

January 11, 2013 2:04 PM | Link to this

GOOD LUCK JIM YOU WILL BE MISSED. I WILL WATCH YOU ON CHANNEL 45/22

By Heather

January 11, 2013 2:25 PM | Link to this

Hope you stay in Dayton and move to another station!! Always liked your segments.

By Ann

January 11, 2013 2:33 PM | Link to this

If WHIO has any sense they'll snap him up right away. He did so much good for community events, we can't afford to lose him! Come on, Channel 7, grab Buch!

By Mamie Baldwin

January 11, 2013 2:49 PM | Link to this

WHIO should pick up Jim. I quit taking Ambien since they fired everybody….their newscasts put me to sleep.

By Marty

January 11, 2013 3:08 PM | Link to this

7 this is your lost . 2 or ? where you go we will .

By Lisa Grigsby

January 11, 2013 3:13 PM | Link to this

Buch has been the bright spot in the news on WDTN for years! I spent many mornings at 5:30am with him and comics at Jokers! He’s the nicest man I know and has done such good for so many in the community! Thanks for the memories Buch!

By Brian Johnson

January 11, 2013 3:16 PM | Link to this

Really WDTN, that was the biggest mistake. Jim has been my favorite ever since I changed news channels, and for the ignorant a** people trying to put him down can shut the hell up. Nicest, loving and most caring person I've ever met. Jim they've lost a lot, they've lost the best man. Wish the best for you!

By Penny

January 11, 2013 3:24 PM | Link to this

What a mistake WDTN. He was the only reason to watch your useless news.

By Jennifer

January 11, 2013 3:38 PM | Link to this

I always thought Buch belonged on Channel 7.

By Butch Clough

January 11, 2013 3:47 PM | Link to this

WDTN made a mistake in letting Buch go. I quit watching WHIO because of the changes and now WDTN is going to be just as worthless. There is no station in Dayton anymore that is worth watching.

By Sharie

January 11, 2013 3:53 PM | Link to this

I had the great opportunity of meeting Buch! What a breath of fresh air!! Such a kind- harted person. Always had something good to say and so funny. Another reason to go back to 7. Only reason watch 2 was for Buch! Dont know what in the heck management was thinking. They just lost a lot of viewers.

By pharnald

January 11, 2013 4:01 PM | Link to this

His act is lame and he's been boring for years; since the beginning really. Actually, what took WDTN this long?

By Art

January 11, 2013 4:02 PM | Link to this

Jim has been one of the Dayton areas most entertaining television personalities for decades. I don't know what happened, but I would hire him in a second. He is not "snooty" at all, unlike personalities at Channel 7 (the WORST). Stations need "real" employees.

By Mike

January 11, 2013 4:44 PM | Link to this

I never really found Buchers Beat to really great, but after meeting him on two different occaisions… that was confirmed. He was pretty arrogant the times I did cross paths with him. All schmoozie on air and a real putz when the camera was off!

By Horace

January 11, 2013 5:02 PM | Link to this

Never cared for him, hated his jerky camera work, so really even though he seems like a good guy, no big deal he’s gone. The bigger question is what is going on at 2. I hear that several other back room folks have been fired as well. Why aren’t you asking about those folks, is the news director still there?

By theinsider

January 11, 2013 5:03 PM | Link to this

I sat with Jim at a friend’s wedding a few years back. He was sooo arrogant and even made rude comments about our mutual friend, the bride, behind her back at the reception. Won’t miss him.

By Patti

January 11, 2013 6:05 PM | Link to this

Good to see him go. I switched to channel 7 years ago because I couldn't stand him. I hope he goes far far away.

By Good-BeGone

January 11, 2013 6:15 PM | Link to this

He lasted way to long. I hope no other local station picks him up. His segments are a waste of time. Hope the door didn't hit you on the ___ on the way out! Get a life Jim!

By Tim

January 11, 2013 6:19 PM | Link to this

Hey Art, Do you really know all the folks at channel 7? My sister in law is a reporter there and she is the kindest most loving person one could ever meet! I hope they snag Jim up….

By A.J. Wagner

January 11, 2013 10:44 PM | Link to this

Jim Bucher has done more good for Dayton than all of the kind comments on this site could ever express and he is entirely undeserving of the unkind comments posted here. Many charities, businesses and individuals have improved their lot from the humorous reporting offered by Buch over the last three decades. I will miss him. I offer my prayers to Jim and his family and wish him the best of luck.

By dorothy

January 11, 2013 10:54 PM | Link to this

Buch gonna miss you on TV2 but maybe we will see you as a local tv talk and etc….show host cause you are great at both talk and etc…

By Martha

January 12, 2013 1:07 AM | Link to this

I am totally saddened by the comments here. I don’t know the gentleman but I know he had a loyal and loving following. I don’t understand the hateful statements I see here. He brought much joy into people’s lives and I don’t understand how so much hate got injected into to all of this. I worked in the media myself and never heard anything bad said against him. SMH,

By Lauren

January 12, 2013 1:00 PM | Link to this

I have to say to the individuals who’ve made hurtful remarks really make me sad for you. Jim informed his viewing audience of all sorts of events around the area and yes made us laugh along the way. Laughter is what people looked forward to and what so many of us need in the world today. He’s done so much good for the community and does not deserve the such unkind words. Turn your channel if you just don’t like to laugh. Stop being so hateful for goodness sake.

By Doreen

January 12, 2013 3:23 PM | Link to this

I’m sad to see WDTN lose a local icon like Bucher. But I’ll be really happy for the station that is able to snatch him up! Having said that, I am shocked and saddened to see the hurtful comments posted here. I just don’t think there is really any need for it. I wish for heart-healing to those folks.

By mark willis

January 12, 2013 3:23 PM | Link to this

Jim has been a great friend to the Dayton Metro Library, helping us get the word out on book sales and other library events. Lots of other organizations benefitted from his hard work and great sense of humor. I hope he lands someplace where can continue doing what he does. Our community needs it!

By Ahndrea Pett

January 12, 2013 3:56 PM | Link to this

To all who don't know Jim Bucher well you are sure missing out. Jim has been a part of our family's life for the past 13yrs and we have gotten to know him up close and personal. Jim is very kind and has always been out there with good news and supporting the community. For those of you who have negative things to say you must know a different Jim because it sure isn't ours. Being in the media is not easy, not only for Jim but his family as well. People posting negative things maybe you should look at yourselves, have you made the effort for your community that he has not only on the job but off. Do you have children or family members that could be hurt if things of such nature were said about you. . Jim you have our support and love now and forever. There is a better job coming your way. :)

By Ahndrea Pett

January 12, 2013 3:57 PM | Link to this

By Jen

January 12, 2013 3:58 PM | Link to this

Honestly Jim has done more in 30 years than a lot of people. Regardless of his "lame act" or so called "arrogance" he is a great man. You people have no lives & obviously no parents who taught you manners. You don't have something nice to say you don't say it at all. But since you all think you can ignore that rule, I think I will too. F**k all you rude people, you can shove it up your asses. GO BUCH!

By Chloe Bucher

January 12, 2013 4:07 PM | Link to this

The fact that some people can be so LAME and ARROGANT to post these comments about my dad who has done things out of the goodness of his heart for 30 years disgusts me.. 1. Either you're an old fart who just figured out the computer or 2. You're not satisfied with your own lives so you knock on other people who have accomplished many more things than you have in your own. My father has set a great example and had a lot of fun in the valley for a long time & I highly respect him for that. Thanks to all the wonderful people who left meaningful comments, I respect you all greatly! It hurts me to see that people who don't even know my dad can be so hateful towards him. I love my dad so much!

By Sophie

January 12, 2013 5:06 PM | Link to this

For all the negative people, I would like you to know that Jim, my dad, did his job for all of YOU and the community. I mean I would expect someone my age to post a comment like that but not an adult. That’s ridiculous. Put yourself in his shoes. He woke up at 4am every day for all of YOU and sometimes did stories for people on his own time without pay or anything. So before you post anymore rude things make sure you are perfect and think about all the things he does for you out of the goodness of his heart.

By Cyndamarie Gunn

January 12, 2013 5:16 PM | Link to this

I've known Jim for over 30 years, He met him when he was on the staff at a public access channel , he's been nothing but caring for the community , I was proud to see him on WDTN , for whatever the reason they parted ways I think these jerks that are saying nasty things have no real life , and nothing more to do then to kick someone when their down, Remember the community is watching you too , and May God have mercy on you if you ever need some help in the future. Anyway... Jim , Buch. I wish you the best in whatever your next adventure is. Remember You are a GOOD PERSON. and you did a GREAT SERVICE for this community .

By Mayor Noni Wood

January 12, 2013 5:43 PM | Link to this

Thirty plus years ago, my friend, Roxie Cole, Executive Director of Access Dayton, introduced me to a vibrant energetic young man. Photographer, Jim Bucher. Over the years I have followed Jim on his journey through the eyes of his camera and television WDTN. He has made us laugh, he has comforted us and he has shared his life with us. I thank Jim for being such a blessing and giving Dayton and Miami Valley some wonderful years of his life. A true friend he is! Noni Wood Mayor of Clarksville, OH

By Jeff K

January 12, 2013 5:47 PM | Link to this

Buch, you are awesome and will be missed! Screw all these negative idiots that clearly have no clue on what’s going on. I got your back!

By Judy Mannix

January 12, 2013 5:49 PM | Link to this

Ahhhhhh...cyber-bullying at its best! For those of you who have negative things to say about someone who has put so much of his life into the endless promotion and betterment of this community, SHAME ON YOU! You hide behind this veil of anonymity and spew your venom and nefarious innuendos ...to what end? Do you think it will change someone's mind or opinion of Buch? Does it make you feel big or important? There, there...glad you could get this off your chest on this public forum. Sleep well tonight, OK? You have lots of people who love and appreciate you and have your back, Buch. Don’t let these ignorant, anonymous pinheads get to you, ever. They don’t count.

By Rose

January 12, 2013 6:07 PM | Link to this

It has been my pleasure being a neighbor and friend to Jim Bucher, for over 10 years, I know better than most what sort of man he is. He gave his job more than his time & talent, he gave his heart, for the love of our GEM CITY. People being disrespectful and nasty will always look for ways to hurt someone, sad it now is Jim. None of us are perfect, come on he gave his best, 30 years is a pretty good record, that many of us couldn't handle. He is a man who cares for his family & the city. So to Jim's family, I say stand tall and be proud of the man...your dad, husband, brother and son is. High five good buddy ! Glad to know ya.

By Lauren

January 12, 2013 6:34 PM | Link to this

I wish there was an “I can dig it” button for all of the love being poured out to Jim! You all make me smile and it warms my heart. I know Jim is definitely feeling the love you all have for him. : )

By Kay Binzer

January 12, 2013 6:43 PM | Link to this

Obviously some of you "haters'" wouldn't recognize a true patriot of the Miami Valley if it bit you on your behind. Jim Bucher supported the Dayton Aviation Community and so much more. He was always willing to show up any time of day or night for just the love of his beloved community. Anyway, someone smart and ethical will scoop up this talented, funny guy soon! Wishing Jim and his daughters blessings for an awesome future!! Love ya like a brother, Buch! Hugs from Beavercreek!

By Mike Sopronyi

January 12, 2013 7:51 PM | Link to this

I have known Jim for 15 years and had to pleasure of working with him for 13 of those years. Buch would always make me laugh and would make me enjoy going to work at 3:30 in the morning… that’s saying a lot right there alone!! Buch showed how the people in this community lived and worked on a day to day basis, while adding his own humor to it. I’m sorry, but seeing shooting, shooting, car crash, car crash, stabbing, stabbing, shooting, gets REALY OLD and seeing Buch, would let everyone forget about how depressing the world we live in is and give us something to smile about! Those saying Buch wasn’t funny, fake or a jerk… you either don’t have a sence of humor you’re aware of, and/or don’t know Jim Bucher.. So you need to think before you write rumors and lies! If 7, 22, 45 or even the Cincinnati channels are smart, they should get Buch ASAP before other markets grab an amazing talent away from this area! I’m proud to know Jim and even prouder to call him my friend!

By Alexis

January 12, 2013 9:40 PM | Link to this

HATERS GONNA HATE!!! Now if I could have everyone reading this attention. Okay, for one most of you on here are adults. Correct? I want you to look at the example you are setting for furture childen of america! All of you who don’t have anything else to do but look down and talk bad about Jim are arrogant! You are setting a bad example for anyone who reads these comments and for that fact you are CYBER BULLING! UMM EXCUSE ME!? I am not even an adult yet and act better then some you. Even though he is an adult, this is still cyber bulling so I thank everyone here who’s standing up for Jim. I have known Jim pretty much my whole life. Even though Jim is not related to me I am proud to call him my uncle. He has always been there for me and my sisters and I love him like he is part of my family. No one here has the right to say anything bad if you don’t know him as well as some of us do. So next time stop and think before you speak your mind and type your opnion. Does that sound familiar? TEAM JIM!

By Jeanne

January 13, 2013 12:18 AM | Link to this

I was shocked to read this. What is channel 2 thinking? Seriously? You were a joy to the Dayton Community and I know you brought lots of laughs my way. Iremember I was eating in a Restaurant with my Family and I forgot I didn't even know you. I yelled out Hey Jim and you came over to the table and greeted us all. You were never too busy for people. You were friendly to everyone! I for one will miss you a lot! My prayers are with you that you will find just the right thing to do that will bring you as much enjoyment as you have given us all. I am sure we haven't seen the last of you! Bless you on your new journey!

By Lora Kirk

January 13, 2013 8:00 AM | Link to this

I want to stand in the ranks of those who love and support Jim Bucher! He has been such a supporter of all the people and businesses here in the Miami Valley, and I felt the love he has for our area each and every time he reported! He brought a smile to my face and made our big town feel like a small town, with his humor, warmth and concern. I feel sad that this happened to Jim, but will support him where ever he goes. I hope we will be fortunate enough to have him stay here, and we will be able to continue to appreciate him on another station, for he has a true gift! Love you Jim!

By Lynn

January 13, 2013 9:08 AM | Link to this

I always loved watching Jim. It is always entertaining and always put a smile on my face. So much fun! I will keep in touch on his facebook page. And for the others, did your mother not teach you any manners? If you have nothing nice to say .............

By Sharon Collins

January 13, 2013 10:51 PM | Link to this

Jim “The Buch” has been one of the highlights of watching the channel 2 news. What a shame so many people are so outrageously idiotic when sharing their views about him! I enjoyed watching a homegrown fella on the news. Sorry it had to end. Guess I won’t be watching 2 news anymore!

By Karen Kelly

January 14, 2013 5:59 PM | Link to this

Jim Bucher is a one of a kind Gem. I had the joy of knowing and working with - and getting to know - the man behind the mic - and the camera. Jim wasn’t just an entertainer. Jim was and still is a huge supporter and voice for a ton of non-profits. Local organizations that may not have had a say, were given voice by Jim. He was overwhelmed with requests to help promote an event, and he did his best help promote each and every one of them. To say he has a big heart is putting it mildly. Jim not only is a kind person, he is a gentle soul that would do anything for anyone. I guess it saddens me to read the remarks of these “haters”. True everyone has an opinion, but I wonder why you felt it necessary to be mean to someone that meant no harm to anyone. Jim, the Universe has great plans for you, my friend!

By Eric Yung

January 14, 2013 7:44 PM | Link to this

I got to know Jim through a lot of the foodie events around the area, what a great guy and an advocate for the area. Jim was a tireless cheerleader for the region, something that we need a lot more of. Thanks Jim for your years of service and I look forward to the next chapter of your life, the beat must go on. Chef Eric

By Silent Watcher

January 16, 2013 2:03 PM | Link to this

I have met Mr. Boucher and found him to be of the highest integrity! His face was welcomed on my home TV. It is a sad day to say he won’t be doing his usual comic while portraying some community event. He stands out as the important community voice that made him the loveable TV personality. I shall miss hos face but I feel like he has much more important work ahead and a new door is being opened for that opportunity. Bouch, look back on your past with pride and for all the hearts you have gladdened, look beyond whatever happened at WDTN, they will ultimately pay for their decision and be held to accountability by a rapidly growing wary community. Thanks for all you have done and may your future be bright and even more successful.

By Mike Manning

January 18, 2013 3:06 PM | Link to this

It seems that all the Dayton stations are going to hell! WHIO was never a favorite of mine, channel 22/Fox 45 is the worst! Every week they have a “New anchor”! And now WDTN! I am turning to the Cincinnati stations!

By caryl lunsford

January 24, 2013 11:25 AM | Link to this

I also Wish Bucher all the luck in the world. He will be missed very, very much. You were the highlight of the newscast. Good Luck!!!!!!