Leroy \"Sugarfoot\" Bonner\'s family to release details of historical perspective | Latest news

Home > Blogs > Seen and Overheard > Archives > 2013 > January > 28 > Entry

Leroy “Sugarfoot” Bonner’s family to release details of historical perspective

As we told you yesterday morning, funk legend Leroy “Sugarfoot” Bonner died Saturday.

The Hamilton born guitarist and singer for Dayton’s groundbreaking Ohio Players was 69.

Sugarfoot_OhioPlayers.jpg
File photo: Hamilton native Leroy “Sugarfoot” Bonner was the lead singer and guitarist of the Ohio Players since he joined the band in 1971.

His family has posted the following on the Sugarfoot’s Ohio Players Facebook Page:

Yesterday, Leroy “Sugarfoot” Bonner passed away quietly in his hometown of Trotwood-Dayton, OH. While his family, friends, colleagues, and fans mourn his passing they celebrate fondly his memory, music, and legacy.
Sugarfoot, or Foot, or Sugar, was the founding and cornerstone artistic talent of OHIO PLAYERS and the face and sound of the OHIO PLAYERS brand, which he knit together and launched in 1964 with former members of The Ohio Untouchables. With a career spanning 56 years, he passed barely short of his 70th birthday.
Humble yet charismatic, soft spoken and of few words, the weight of his thoughts, lyrics, and music has influenced countless other artists, songs, and trends. He will be missed but not forgotten as his legacy and music lives on. More details and an official historical perspective of his career will soon be forthcoming.

Several hundred have comment on the Facebook page.

New of Bonner’s passing has also been reported in several national outlets, including Spin.com.

Here is a portion of the site’s piece partly describing Bonner’s influence on contemporary music:

Though Bonner was touring a version of the Players up until his death, you will hear their contemporary legacy most loudly in bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers (who covered “Love Rollercoaster”), disco revisionists Escort (who evoke them on their recent self-titled LP), and in more than 200 rap songs that sample them. In the hip-hop world, nothing has been more indelible than 1973’s “Funky Worm.” After appearing in songs on N.W.A.’s landmark 1988 album Straight Outta Compton, sampling, interpoliting, and evoking “Funky Worm“‘s swirling, buzzing Moogs became the sound of an entire generation of West Coast hip-hop producers. The tradition is still alive today, as you can even hear a funky worm replay in the coda of Kendrick Lamar’s recent “m.A.A.d. city.”

What do you think?

Note: This is a blog.- a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer; also : the contents of such a site ( Merriam-webster)

Twitter with me at DDNSmartmouth. Have an item for Seen and Overheard? Click here.

Comments

By audrey

January 28, 2013 9:16 AM | Link to this

I love me some ohio players I have all of there songs but most all I turely miss sugarfoot I just find out about his passing on tom joyner show this morning , rest in peace you are one of god”s angel”s now.

By Tom

January 28, 2013 10:59 AM | Link to this

We’ve lost one of the most notable music icons of the modern music era. At the “Players” peak, nobody could touch them…and they taught many. Thanks. Respect. R.I.P.

By mike snyder

January 28, 2013 11:33 AM | Link to this

The passing of a local Legend be it a Fortune 500 Company or Mr. Bonner, leaves a legacy of memories that will live forever. Sugar was the frontman and the Players' were at the forefront of a funk revolution that not only put Dayton on the musical map, they laid the groundwork for those to follow...Sun, Heatwave, Roger, Platypus to name a few. Sugar, you will never be forgotten and your style will always be respected and appreciated!

By mike snyder

January 28, 2013 11:34 AM | Link to this

By Marcus trice

January 28, 2013 11:40 AM | Link to this

Sugar we love ya Man. I just cant stop crying Because you were my inspiration for playing Music and no one can ever take your place P.S. What a concert in heaven tonight and you know it Owwwwl

By Doris Cooks

January 28, 2013 3:23 PM | Link to this

What a great musician and great group, the Ohio Players. I love all their music and I am sorry about Sugarfoot passing. He will be greatly missed. I always enjoyed seeing him perform. When I heard about his passing, I immediate said hope it's not the nice looking, well dress guy out front. What a great performer! The Ohio Players were a great part in my afro and hot pants days. They were swinging. We were all that and a bag of chips. My prayers are definitely with the family and relatives. He had passed on to a better world. In-Christ, Love You All

By Savannah Fan

January 30, 2013 4:47 PM | Link to this

RIP Sugarfoot! You will be missed. I loved your voice, your smile and that big Fro.

By Rasheed As-Samad

February 1, 2013 1:13 AM | Link to this

I remember meeting the guys at the “Baby Grand” in Canton,Ohio back in the day and they were out of this world then, and the one who stood out because of his playing style was ” Sugar “. What a era that was…Thanks Ohio Players…RIP Sugar.