Gone but not forgotten: What I miss most from the Dayton dining scene | Taste: Dayton food and restaurants

Home > Blogs > Taste: Dayton food and restaurants > Archives > 2010 > February > 21 > Entry

Gone but not forgotten: What I miss most from the Dayton dining scene

Something triggered my nostalgia gene over the holidays (Wait a minute — since when did I get old enough to get nostalgic about ANYthing? Harrumph), and I started pondering a few of the things I missed most from the Dayton dining scene.

By its very nature, this list is highly personalized and skewed to the geographic areas where I lived and worked. But I’d like to hear some of the dishes and restaurants you pine for from a bygone era. Post a comment, and we’ll likely assemble some of the reminiscences into a story we’ll publish in the Dayton Daily News.

I’ll wade into the nostalgia pool first:

Armando’s bread: Armando’s Deli operated briefly on East Dorothy Lane in Kettering, and made one of the finest baguette-style Italian loaves I’ve ever dipped in olive oil, here or in Italy (although the baguettes from Boosalis Bakery in Miami Twp. may have him beat). Armando sold all kinds of goodies out of the deli, but it was the bread that kept me coming back with alarming frequency.

Chin’s Oriental Grill: Yes, Art Chin still operates the very fine Chin’s Ginger Grill in Tipp City, but I still miss his Chin’s Ginger Grill that operated for a decade or so at Fifth and Jefferson streets, and I bet I’m not the only one. Perfectly stir-fried chunks of fresh fish such as salmon or escolar with a mound of seasonal vegetables was lunchtime heaven for downtown Dayton workers.

Rinaldo’s Bakery in The Arcade: Yes, Rinaldo’s is still baking bread and operating its Fairview Avenue bakery, but when I could sneak across the street from the newspaper’s former offices at Fourth and Ludlow and purchase a picturesque Challah from the display case, I knew the bread would make anything else served at the dinner table seem like a fine meal.

Other downtown Dayton restaurants that served as delicious lunch stops: the too-brief life of the African Star restaurant with its flavorful little fish cakes and thick, tart tomato sauce, and before that (I believe), Izzy’s deli with its overstuffed sandwiches and the best potato pancakes around. And what about Charley’s Crab when it was upstairs in the Arcade? Those addictive, warm, butter-drizzled rolls, and a perfectly cooked chunk of garlicky bluefish … (sigh). Charley’s Crab is also where I once overheard a diner insist to his server he wanted his tuna steak cooked medium rare, then sent the plate back to the kitchen because the fish wasn’t cooked through.

Lunch at Rike’s downtown and Elder Beerman downtown: Were those not the finest waitresses — and yes, they were waitresses back then, not servers — on earth? The most efficient, friendly restaurant service anywhwere.

Blue Moon: The fine-dining restaurant that had a nice little decade-long run in the Oregon District had some memorable wine dinners. It also had a wonderful bar, great service and a fine atmosphere.

The Savory: Reaching back into history just a bit, this long-defunct restaurant on Smithville Road in Dayton offered an amazing rack of lamb with ever-changing sauces, and it too hosted some amazing wine dinners.

Vito’s Venice Inn: The long-gone restaurant on East Dorothy Lane in Kettering served a dish I believe it called Roman Spaghetti that boasted a robustly spicy, and highly addictive, tomato sauce.

Steve Kao’s Asian restaurant in Miami Twp.: The man could coax a lot of flavor from a few ingredients and set a high standard for Asian fine dining. He also was something if a pioneer in pairing fine wines with Asian dishes.

And finally, blowing the dust off some very old childhood memories, a restaurant called Guenther’s or perhaps Guenther’s Seafood House on Linden Avenue near Smithville (I think) offered a Friday night all-you-can-eat seafood buffet that included whole lobster. Yes, whole lobster. This was sometime in the mid or late 1960s, I believe, and even though lobster was, I’m sure, far less expensive then, I still feel a bit guilty that my childhood lobster appetite may have helped doom a restaurant’s financial health. But it was fun while it lasted.

What about you? What do you miss most about bygone-restaurants and dishes from the Dayton-area dining scene?

Permalink | Comments (169) | Post your comment | Categories: Just for Fun

Comments

By sherry

April 19, 2011 3:11 PM | Link to this

I got very nostalgic this morning and started looking up place in Dayton from the late 60’s. My Dad was an Airman and he took Mom and I to Suttmillers Supper Club seeing the Kim Sisters. Then there was State Theatre my friend and I would ride in by bus every Saturday. I think it was on State St. We lived in what was then called Page Manor off base housing.

By David

February 18, 2011 10:38 PM | Link to this

What was the name of the Hungarian restaurant that burned down in Beavercreek/alpha. The food was sooo delicious.

By Garth

January 16, 2011 8:35 PM | Link to this

I’m from Arcanum and when Forest Park was the place to go in the 60’s & 70’s we always stopped at the Hollywood drive-in on the way home and got a Hollywood Starburger. The meat and the sauce was great, even the big fresh cut fries.It was on St. Rt. 48.

By Teresa

December 18, 2010 4:27 PM | Link to this

Ah, you brought back lots of good memories! Left Dayton in 1983, family still there, but most the good food places have long gone. Still we have Marions Pizza…ymmm.

By nullVicki B

December 10, 2010 5:55 PM | Link to this

Does anyone remember Lora’s Resturant on 3rd St. Very good home made meals

By Momma Mallard :)

April 19, 2010 6:35 PM | Link to this

I know it wasn’t even close to fine dining, it was trucker’s food. The place I’m speaking of was Joe & Margaret’s Diner on Keowee St. I worked there, on weekends only, when I was 16 yrs. old and found it to be mesmerizingly nostalgic! It was the huge silver diner that sat in front of a hotel. What made it ever more special was that my momma had worked in that same diner when she was 16. It was known as the Gate House then and was owned by Mr. Shelander. P.S. Phillips/Jack’s had the BEST coney sauce I’ve ever had in my life..too bad it’s gone. :(

By shawn

April 10, 2010 2:48 PM | Link to this

Does anyone remember Wympee’s on E.Third & Wayne or the Tasty Boy across from patterson co-op on first street those where great burgers and the Tasty Boy burgers the sauce on those ROCKED ! wish they would bring those places back to dayton instead of tearing all the places down and building then they sit empty ! or they build more fast food places

By Bessie

March 18, 2010 2:23 PM | Link to this

During my many classes at Wright Pat, I loved going to the Arcade and having early dinner at Charley’s Crab. Their Charlie’s Chowder was the best ever. I know they are gone now, but would love to get the receipe for the chowder. Anybody know if they are the ones that are now in Cleveland?

By Robin

March 17, 2010 12:50 PM | Link to this

My family always took me to the Upper Krust for “Garbage Can Delights” (tuna melts with cole slaw on them). I make them for my kids now, but I’ve never gotten the tuna salad right - I’d love to have that recipe!

By cmm

March 4, 2010 8:41 AM | Link to this

I miss the Westward Ho and the Old Hickory on 3rd street where you could watch the chicken and ribs roasting on the rotisserie.

By Pamela

March 2, 2010 5:44 PM | Link to this

Did not see anyone remember the fudge covered peanut ice cream balls at Rikes.

By Pamela

March 2, 2010 5:33 PM | Link to this

One of my faves was Longo’s Twinkle Inn on Linden close to Smithville. Specialized in great Italian food (I fell for the veal parmesan!) & served amazing huge hamburgers. You could eat in or carry out & the building was narrow & long like a trolley car.

By Bob

March 1, 2010 10:11 PM | Link to this

Restaurants from the late 30’s on. Goody Goody’s Boston Cream Pies, Johnny K’s, Esquire Red Room, Sully’s on Salem hamburgers, Dugout, Chatterbox, North Lunch Ave Lunch open all night,West Milton Inn (wonderful ambiance and salad bar), Service and Buhl (turned 800 tops every weekday noon, Ripp’s Cafe 2’nd and Jefferson, Don DeWitt’s ?, Morgan House (Moron hamburgers and certificate for eating 12” diameter burger + 8 scoop sundae), Ames, Davue, Coffee Shops, John C. Smith’s Brown Derby (Howard Malcom, DJ), Westward Ho, Tiger Lunch (Stivers), Teddy Bear (Roosevelt), Mascot (Fairview), Suttmillers first restaurant on Shaw Ave, Longo’s on E. 3’rd, homemade pasta, Van Cleve Dining Room 1’st wedding anniversary there in 1959(Claude Cannon), Century Bar soups and burgers,YMCA Sunday brunch, priced right, Bucholtz Cafeteria - always packed with Master Elecric workers, many more when good bar food is counted.

By Dan Flinchum

March 1, 2010 8:44 AM | Link to this

Thanks everyone for your post. I grew up in Dayton and even worked at some of the old restaurants. What a treat to read and remember.

By Dee

February 28, 2010 11:23 AM | Link to this

In the mid 1970’s I worked at Grandview Hospital and some Interns and employees would go out to eat after our shift was finished. The Keyhole, Tropics,Grubb Steak were nearby and the food was great. The White Towers were known for the butter burgers and another restaurant like Sanos (?)was on N. Main Street that was a quiet place to dine.Those days are gone and so are the Interns and emplyees, but the good times remain in my memory. Rikes had the Tea Room and the hidden sandwich, and the King Cole for upscale dining. All are gone, but not forgotten.

By Johnboy

February 27, 2010 11:47 PM | Link to this

Am I the only geezer old enough to recall the Candlelight on N. Dixie? They had wonderful broasted chicken…first I ever tasted, and I was hooked! The memories sure came “crashing through” when I read all the super comments from other readers. dixie? t

By Mark

February 26, 2010 3:41 PM | Link to this

Nothing like those late night trips to Dominic’s, on the way home from the Oregon District. Quigs had awsome sandwiches, espescially the bread. Kansas City Stockyards in Middletown.

By Chrissy

February 26, 2010 2:35 PM | Link to this

I will never forget the pizza’s my dad would carryout on friday nights in the 80’s from Kettering Village Inn. They were soooo good and i wish i knew what the secret them were. I love cheese that might be why i liked their pizza too.

By cindi

February 25, 2010 6:40 PM | Link to this

When I was younger my pediatrician was in the Harris building near Rikes. It was such a treat to go to the doctors and then to Rikes. We would shop and then have lunch on the mezzanene. I don’t remember exactly what was eaten but just the excitement of getting to eat at Rikes was enough. I also remember going to Tall Timbers and the Tropics with my grandparents. They would have their martinis and I would have my Shirley Temple. There are still some restaraunts around that remind me of those times…Old Hickory on N. Main, The Buckhorn, and also The Barnsider. Times sure seemed more simple back then. Eating out was such a treat….not expected everytime we got in the car.

By Andrea Alexander

February 24, 2010 3:21 PM | Link to this

We used to eat at the Patterson Restaurant, across from Carillon Park, about once a week in the late 50’s and early 60’s. Mr. and Mrs. Preston owned and ran it, and they always saved an end piece of chocolate cake, with lots of icing, for my dad. I liked their tangy French salad dressing. It was just a good, friendly, family restaurant.

By Steve71

February 23, 2010 6:20 PM | Link to this

WOW! It looks like most of what I was going to add already has been. But, how about Longo’s and Sano’s Spaghetti Houses, Pappy’s Kitchen Klub, Henrici’s and a restaurant on E First St who’s name escapes this old timer?

By null

February 23, 2010 12:27 PM | Link to this

I remember going to Sutmiller’s when their restauraant in the back of their little grocery. Mom, Dad, my grandma, grandpa & sometimes an aunt & uncle would go there for dinner. After dinner they would sit around a table for several hours having a beer or two. I would go to sleep in the booth(I was only about 5 or 6). Then before they left they would go thru the grocery & pick up fresh fruits & veggies. I also remember the Double L bar & grill. I believe it was on N. Main. I slept in a booth there too.

By Anita

February 23, 2010 11:34 AM | Link to this

I am 54 now, but when I was 16 years old, my parents took me to the Black Knight restaurant on Dorothy Lane. I had my first Filet Mignon and it was wonderful! I loved the atmosphere. I really miss it!

By null

February 23, 2010 10:23 AM | Link to this

There is still the MCL Cafeteria on Far Hills near David. Another Chinese restaurant I liked was Kowloon Kitchen in West Carrolton. Good menu, and they were open every holiday. It was my go-to for Christmas.

By Child of 70's

February 23, 2010 9:29 AM | Link to this

Maybe I thought it was better than it was (I was just a kid), but no one has mentioned Woody’s! It was a big deal to go there with my family and watch the cars passing below us. We loved to watch the women in the bakery turning out their mouthwatering treats! Also missed - Four’s Company, MCL Cafeteria, Empire, Brawley’s, Chin’s, Casa Lupita, could go on and on. It’s amazing how many memories we connect to food!

By Doug

February 22, 2010 8:28 PM | Link to this

What about Char Burger on Salem Ave. Or Flint’, Burger Chef?

By Anne

February 22, 2010 2:59 PM | Link to this

I remember childhood birthdays at the King Cole. They had the best roast beef and chocolate mousse. I felt like a princess! Later, I went there with my date before prom… and got engaged there when I was 20.

By Basil

February 22, 2010 1:03 PM | Link to this

Here are a few more that are worthy of mention but weren’t remembered: Antonio’s, Centerville- veal; Kinkles, Kettering- crab appetizers; Old Vic, Dayton- prime rib sandwiches; Lebanese Deli, Dayton- Kibi; The Inn, Kettering- Dover Sole; Angie’s, Belmont- Cabbage rolls; Gaston’s, Kettering- Pastries

By Jim

February 22, 2010 11:50 AM | Link to this

I recall Great romantic eateries of the late 40’s into the 50’s: Suttmillers(especially when they had name entertainment.), The Tropics, and John Smith’s Brown Derby; all on N. Main St. Also Swieterman’s Open Door on Watervliet Ave

By Lee

February 22, 2010 11:28 AM | Link to this

Does anyone remember Airway Inn near Fairborn? They had the best hamburgers and fries. We used to go there for lunch on Fridays. Unfortunately they burned down. I still miss that restaurant.

By mtgolflady

February 22, 2010 10:03 AM | Link to this

Beef ribs and the croutons from Jed’s, biscuits from Bill Knapp’s, Barn Buster and onion rings from Red Barn and broasted chicken from Parkmoor. Hey Frickers, when are you going to put the Parkmoor chicken on the menu all the time at all your locations?

By Tonia

February 22, 2010 9:01 AM | Link to this

Goody Goody’s on Salem Avenue for the creamy onion soup…….what I wouldn’t give for just ONE bowl!!!!

By null

February 22, 2010 7:21 AM | Link to this

Evidently a lot of people have fond memories of White Tower. Old menus of the place go for quite a bit of money on popular auction sites.

By Barbara

February 22, 2010 6:33 AM | Link to this

Back to the 1960’s. The Pewter Latch, next to the Ohio Bell and AT&T on Second Street in Dayton. It was later turned into a parking lot. The Pewter Latch was always full at lunch time. Had great home cooked food, had an upstairs that you had to watch a beam or you would hit your head. This place had the best apple dumplings that I have ever ate. I hope this jogs other peoples memory. Reading your article jogged my memory about this wonderful little eating place. Thanks

By Burger Chef employee

February 21, 2010 11:30 PM | Link to this

When I got hungry,I walked across the street to Sandy’s. Their sauce was way better than ours.I would love that recipe.

By Yogi

February 21, 2010 11:09 PM | Link to this

I am suprised no one mentioned the fantastic Sea Food Buffet at The Crown Room at The Imperial House south motel, or their mouth watering Prime Rib. How about their table-side Flamed Diners & deserts WOW, no one does that anymore.

By Paul Hail

February 21, 2010 10:40 PM | Link to this

Kettering Village Inn on Far Hills near Town & Country best pizza, Dominic’s Super Subs among other dishes and dressings,In the arcade Gyros cant remember Greek restraunt name, Quig’s, and Milano’s before it was franchised,Sacksteters cafeteria at Wilmington and Patterson, Rike’s Dayton Mall restraunt

By louie

February 21, 2010 9:57 PM | Link to this

The first fancy place to eat in my memory(mid forty’s) was in Belmont at the Open Door Entertainment Bar. They had an organ built in and every once in a while you listen to Harvey Recor play as you were enjoying your meal. The Dining room and bar had plush leather booths and stools. It was owned by Romie Schweiterman and my favorite waitress Rita. The food and service were always great. Lots of great places in Belmont.

By Washington Township

February 21, 2010 9:01 PM | Link to this

A dear departed Asian place was Orient Express, in Centerville on SR 48 in that shopping center that had the K-Mart. I think the place might have been an old fish n chips place converted into a Thai/Vietnamese place, more Thai. They had great satay, excellent rolls, great hot & sour soup. Just a great little place for Thai things.

By Washington Township

February 21, 2010 8:56 PM | Link to this

I recall the Savory. It was pretty good, but an odd location out there where Smithville meets Wilmington, I think. The place was some chain restuarant building converted into an independent restaurant with great food (not just the seafood).

By diana

February 21, 2010 8:25 PM | Link to this

Does anybody remember Wampler’s down on Rt. 4 outside Germantown and those cheese battered glorifried onion rings or the Georgie Porgie Chocolate pies from the bakery (name?) near the intersection of Rt. 48 and Dorothy Lane??

By Carol

February 21, 2010 7:44 PM | Link to this

Wow! My husband and I so enjoyed thinking about all the good places we used to frequent: Upper Krust, Neil’s, Village Inn, Park Row, Peasant Stock, Goody’s, and Keyhole, all mentioned in the paper. But we didn’t see anyone list Tall Timbers. We had our wedding rehearsal dinner there. (Remember, Steve Kirk used to advertise “Tall Timbers, where all the waitresses look like Gina Lollobrigida, except…” and then he’d give a woman’s name and say she looked like someone really ugly.) Thanks for the fun and delicious memories!

By Charley Mofield

February 21, 2010 6:57 PM | Link to this

READ YOUR ARTICLE IN SUNDAYS 2/21/10 NEWS PAPER ABOUT THE OLD TIME EATING ESTABLISHMENTS AND IT BROUGHT BACK MANY MEMORIES. I HAVE A FEW THAT CAN BE ADDED TO YOUR LIST. ANNARIOS ON NORTH DIXIE, COUNTRY KITCHEN ON NORTH DIXIE(GREAT HAMBURGERS AND REAL CAR HOPS), MORGAN HOUSE AT ENGLEWOOD DAM AT NORTH MAIN STREET, PHILLIPS SWIMING POOL SANDWICH SHOP WITH THEIR GREAT SPANISH BURGER BARBECUE(OWNED BY MIKE SCHMIDTS(HALL OF FAMER)DAD, WESTWARD HO CAFETERIA ON NORTH DIXIE, WYMPEES BURGERS AND SHAKES ON KEOWEE, AND A GREEK SANDWICH SHOP ON FIFTH STREET THAT HAD BURGERS AND CONIES WITH A SPECIAL SAUCE( I GREW UP ON A FARM NORTH OF DAYTON AND IT WAS A MUST STOP WHEN WE CAME TO TOWN ON SATURDAY ALONG WITH RIDING THE STREET CAR FOR A NICKLE. NOT OLDER THAN DIRT BUT WITH A GOOD MEMORY. I ALSO ASSOCIATED WITH MOST OF THE ONES LISTED IN THE ARTICLE.

By Downtown Fan

February 21, 2010 5:04 PM | Link to this

I miss Bill Thomas and Thomatos downtown. Best Mac and Cheese ever!

By Uh, Beavis....

February 21, 2010 4:48 PM | Link to this

All these restaurants for fancy date nights. Did anyone besides me eat a real meal cooked to order (especially breakfast) at the Hide-a-Way on Linden?

By Tom

February 21, 2010 3:53 PM | Link to this

I also remember the Pizza Pantry Far Hills and Whipp. Across from Monkey Millers. The best Italian in Centerville D’Amico’s on South Main. And who could not forget Charlie Brennon’s Roast Beef in the basement of the five and dime on Main Street in downtown Dayton

By steve

February 21, 2010 3:49 PM | Link to this

this brings back memories! Goody-Goody’s hamburgers and their shoestring fries served with gravy-not ketchup village inn pizza and the fireplace, morgan place drive-thru and burgers, thanks to everyone for the comments

By MC

February 21, 2010 3:42 PM | Link to this

Why do you keep mentioning the Stockyards? THE STOCKYARDS IS STILL OPEN.

By Tim

February 21, 2010 3:40 PM | Link to this

I miss the old Parkmoor chicken on Linden Avenue just west of Smithville.

By Karen

February 21, 2010 3:10 PM | Link to this

I remember Service & Buehl restaurant. The food and service was outstanding. I think it was on first street. There are times when I can still smell the coin room. Something triggers it and it is a wonderful memory.

By Joe

February 21, 2010 2:53 PM | Link to this

Totenko then CHi Chi’s now gone and the Yankee Tavern, and the Peking Inn and Antonio’s, Jade Garden.

By charley

February 21, 2010 2:45 PM | Link to this

Can’t forget the Parkmoor on Shroyer in the late 50s and 60s where the CHICKEN IN THE BASKET was fantastic. Better than anything the Colonel ever had. Also miss the Ron’s Pizza at Normandy Square in Centerville.

By Anne

February 21, 2010 2:43 PM | Link to this

How about the Patterson Inn across from the Carillon Park, its now a law office. Great fried chicken. The Kettering Inn now L’Auberge. I barely remember the Goody Goody and Rikes their dining room was the best absolutley and the staff wonderful. Remember the chicken dinner that came in the little chicken shaped bowl. Peasant Stocks hot fudge pecan ball, sweet and salty every girls answer to a craving. So many no little space.

By george

February 21, 2010 2:18 PM | Link to this

Growing up in East Dayton, Walnut Hills in the 50’s , can’t forget: The Oak before it became a bluegrass bar, Barney’s Chicken in the Rough, Evangelo’s Pizza all on Wayne Ave. , then Kelly’s Bar where you could bring a gallon jug and carry draft beer home, Angi’s up and down on Cabbage Roll quality over the years, also the first double hamburger I ever ate at the Parkmoor’s on Shroyer and Smithville, and downtown, Morty’s 5 cent hamburgers next to the YMCA. Imperial House near Miamisburg had a seafood buffet occasionally with unlimited lobster. Saw two grossly pregnant women each eat 4 lobsters there.

By Mary F Clifford

February 21, 2010 2:13 PM | Link to this

I didn’t see a mention of Suttmiller’s Supper Club on N. Main nor one of my fav’s—Limerick’s at the corner of Clyo and Far Hills. It was excellent—but not for very long!!!

By darryl

February 21, 2010 1:38 PM | Link to this

I was wondering if anyone remembers Angelina’s Pizza on Kettering Blvd. across from the old Frigidaire. I can still smell the best pizza ever

By Eat at home

February 21, 2010 1:19 PM | Link to this

I’ve never been to any of those places. Obviously I don’t miss them.

By Kent

February 21, 2010 1:19 PM | Link to this

My dining experiences of downtown fall in to two categories: as a child and as a teenager. Every Christmas season my mother took me and my two sisters downtown to the Virginia Cafeteria for lunch. I ALWAYS had the fried fish, fries, and the sweetest, thickest baked beans along with a cold root beer. Lunch was always followed by an Elvis movie at the Lowes or a Disney movie at the victory. After the Virginia was closed we went to the coffee shop on the first floor of the Mall Motor Inn (now a RTA Hub, ugh)for what seemed at the time an elegant lunch. As a teenager nothing was more impressive then opening night of the Kenley Players @ Memorial Hall on a Tuesday followed by the “Cast Party” at Ted Parker’s Top of the Mall, the rooftop restaurant on the Mall Motor Inn. For somewhere between $7.95-$9.95 you were treated to an upscale “finger food” buffet that always left you full and you also had a chance to meet the stars of that week’s show. Those were the last of downtown Dayton’s glory days!

By JOE

February 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Link to this

enjoyed the reminisces about the old restaurants. I remember the welsh rarebit at Stouffer’s Top of Tower.Went to the current restaurant for our anniversary a couple of years ago & the food was terrible. My wife would die for a White Tower Butterburger.I’m ready to drive to Cincinnati for an Izzy’s potato pancake

By Bill

February 21, 2010 12:52 PM | Link to this

Great article!! I remember the Chinese restaurant on 2nd especially because we had about 10 of us for lunch one day & the waiter never wrote any order, just remembered everything & got every order right! I also remember the Embassy as having the best, & hottest, chili.

By allen

February 21, 2010 12:48 PM | Link to this

Tall Timbers. where the waitresses looked like Gina Lollobrigida. lol

By SquareState

February 21, 2010 12:45 PM | Link to this

1) The Goody Goody on Salem Ave — there was a Goody Goody downtown in the 1920s also 2) Vernor’s Drive-in on Salem, near the Goody Goody - I think the only place in town you could get Vernor’s Ginger Ale at the time 3) The Yum Yum Inn — location later became L’Auberge (which means “The Inn”) 4) Neil’s Heritage House just off Schantz Avenue 5) The King Cole downtown (last location was in the Kettering Tower) run by the same family that ran The Maisonette in Cincinnati.

By Steve

February 21, 2010 12:24 PM | Link to this

How about 4 River Place, Park Row,and TW’s in Miamisburg. All had great food and good fine dining atmosphere.

By diner girl

February 21, 2010 12:05 PM | Link to this

Wasn’t there a Joe’s is a Fish House?? And the old Anticoli’s. Also Steve Kao’s was where my future husband took me for our first date. Knew he was special right then & there.

By Andrea

February 21, 2010 11:59 AM | Link to this

For casual dining, I miss Four’s Company on Siebenthaler, beside the old Cinema North.

By Martha

February 21, 2010 11:56 AM | Link to this

Back in the 60s, my parents would take me to this all you can eat buffet in an old hotel in Miamisburg. If I remember correctly, it was only $1 for all you could eat, except there were signs all over urging patrons not to take more than two pieces of chicken (it was awesome) and other commandments like, “Take all you like, but eat all you take!” The fattest people I’ve ever seen ate there.

By Tacy

February 21, 2010 11:55 AM | Link to this

You just can’t beat a good ol footlong smothered in onions and mayo from Poor Richard’s in Centerville during the 60s

By Jud

February 21, 2010 11:53 AM | Link to this

Two of the great dependables in and around downtown were the lunch counter at Woolworth’s with the great inexpensive breakfasts and good soups and sandwiches, and the wonderful home-cooked specials at the Chili King on North Main which was demolished because of the I-75 expansion.

By Samanatha

February 21, 2010 10:29 AM | Link to this

Shuckin’ Shack on Main Street and the OLD Little York Tavern.

By cj

February 21, 2010 10:11 AM | Link to this

In the 60’s, the Shrimpboat downtown on Main St. near the Beerman Store, had excellent jumbo deep fried shrimp. Never had anything as good since those days.

By Jim

February 21, 2010 10:08 AM | Link to this

The Black Knight in Kettering and The Tropics on North Main.

By Uncledeb

February 21, 2010 9:59 AM | Link to this

Dominics - MMMM, I can taste the garlic just thinking about that place. I miss the atmostphere, the service, the ambiance, but mostly all that delicious garlic.

By telop

February 21, 2010 9:45 AM | Link to this

I wanted to mention Chow’s Garden on Main Street. It was always my favorite Chinese and I still miss them.

By jay

February 21, 2010 9:25 AM | Link to this

Frisch’s,Keowee,/2Parkmore’s,N.Main and Keowee/ Holiday,N.Main&Westbrook/ Country boy/Dorothy&Wilmington/Harvell’s,Miamisburg/Burger Chef,North Dixie/Golden Point,N Dixie/Pastime Lanes,N Dixie.Good memories

By jeff

February 21, 2010 8:58 AM | Link to this

Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips

By Frank

February 21, 2010 8:51 AM | Link to this

My fav place that’s no longer with us is the Diner on St. Clair. I spent many a date night in the 90s there when Dayton actually had SOMETHING to do in the evenings…..

By Jaime

February 21, 2010 8:50 AM | Link to this

I soo miss the Marvin Levitts Chicago Deli, on Sundays my father would take me in there and we would get a spread of great jewish deli food, corned beef, jewish rye and all the fixings and have a great build your own sandwich at home. Everyone knew everyone in there.

By null

February 21, 2010 7:51 AM | Link to this

Anyone remember Sacksteder’s Cafeteria on Springboro Pike in Moraine City Went there every Fri nite and often saw Mayor Dave Hall there.

By stanley clarke wyllie

February 21, 2010 7:31 AM | Link to this

One of my favorites is Ripps, which was near the library. The evening meal was plentiful with such items as home made rolls, pies, mashed potatoes, cabbage rolls—large, two on a plate, salad, etc. for a very reasonable price. Other days might have pork, swiss steak, fried chicken, etc. Large portions.

By Patty

January 21, 2010 10:28 AM | Link to this

I remember fondly working downtown and going to the Coin Room and the Mezz at Rikes. When I finally worked at Rikes I thought their employee cafeteria had some truly great home cooked food. Also remember the Sub Stop at Rikes. I have a Rikes cookbook and will see if I can find any of the favorites mentioned above.

By Mack

January 16, 2010 6:38 PM | Link to this

FOUR’S COMPANY!!!

By Andrea

January 13, 2010 11:16 PM | Link to this

When I was in high school (early ‘60”s), my girl friend and I would go down to Rike’s on Sat. to shop & and have lunch. Our favorite was the Date Nut Pudding with Lemon Sauce. It was incredible. I would love to have the recipe. For special occasions, we went to the King Cole. Great memories!

By tim

January 12, 2010 1:20 AM | Link to this

The Alibi in Miamisburg in the 60s and 70s. Had the “Alibi Special”—a 6oz filet, potato and salad for ….$2.95. Place was run by Eddie Thomas and his sister, Phyllis Hill. Also anyone from Miamisburg will remember Daisy’s Kitchen…..every Thursday was chicken pot pie day.

By MPG

January 10, 2010 1:49 PM | Link to this

Anyone remember the Cork and Cleaver?

By burgers

January 9, 2010 8:50 PM | Link to this

I miss norton’s burgers since they closed… Service wasn’t good at all, but the burgers were.

By mariaangela

January 8, 2010 7:25 AM | Link to this

I remember all those places and a few others. I moved away almost 8 yrs ago and I miss the Dayton dining scene. I live 40 miles sw of Washington, and this town doesn’t have a decent pizza place like Marions or Flying Pizza which I am glad are still open. Here Pizza Hut): regins supreme.

By FreedomWriter

January 8, 2010 1:02 AM | Link to this

(Gary) Actually Captain D`s used to be a way-lo gas station for along time at dorothy lane and Wilmington. I think your talking about next door where the GFS store is now located. Country Kitchen, then po-folks, then rallys, and now GFS.

By Chuck

January 7, 2010 8:38 PM | Link to this

Wow, great memories. I moved away from Dayton years ago, but remember many of the places - in fact, I waited tables for years at Peasant Stock. I always enjoyed the food, but the customers that I got to wait on were the best!

By JEFF BEILHARZ

January 7, 2010 4:43 PM | Link to this

i think taco place on n dixie was called d-jacks, i always like it also

By Dixiechickbs

January 7, 2010 4:20 PM | Link to this

A little mexican place that was up on N. Dixie in Vandalia/Harrison Twp. area in the late 70’s early 80’s. I was just a little kid and can’t remember the name. My mom used to take my sister and I there whenever we visited our family that lived North of town. The bldg. is still there. Little square Taco Bellish looking thing but it wasn’t that believe me! Does anyone remember this place?

By Robyn

January 7, 2010 3:21 PM | Link to this

So many great food memories. I’m 60 - worked downtown from 18 on. I think Big Foodie is referring to Ripp’s across from Co-op. What about The Coin Room at Rike’s - bread pudding with bourbon sauce; Hidden Salad. And their mezzanine - great fried egg sandwiches. I had totally forgotten Chin’s in the basement. YUM! Does anybody remember Grammer’s - in Oregon District - looked like a German Village? What was the place with the train running around the ceiling? Oh, and the Fanny Farmer (was that it?) next to Lowe’s theater downtown? I’m feeling so nostalgic now!

By hane

January 7, 2010 2:54 PM | Link to this

I want some pressed duck like they served at the China Boy on Main St at Dog Leg, my friend has been on a quest to find an eggroll as good as their’s. We are both still searching!

By Big Foodie

January 7, 2010 11:23 AM | Link to this

Thanks teri! Thanks Mark! Hey hungry,does Quigs still serve a hot mozzarella sandwich?

By jonbuoy186

January 7, 2010 11:14 AM | Link to this

Thanks to a later post by Dick My memory was refreshed I mentioned the Teddy Bear resturant in Alpha when in reality it was in Hustead in Clark Co. on RT.68 close to Youngs J.D. The Rest Haven in Alpha was the one I was thinking of.

By Old Timer

January 7, 2010 8:09 AM | Link to this

This is really going back some years. The Cascade Supper Club at Salem and Grand in the early 1950’s.

By Bruno

January 7, 2010 12:36 AM | Link to this

The Crab Cakes and Wild Mushroom soup at Nanci’s Porches are very much missed.

By S

January 6, 2010 1:54 PM | Link to this

How about Casa Lupita that was up on Poe Ave. in Vandalia. Best Mexican ever with great atmosphere and cocktails.

By fike

January 6, 2010 11:59 AM | Link to this

Northern Pine,Huber Heights. great steaks,BBQ chicken & ribs!

By Dick

January 6, 2010 11:42 AM | Link to this

No oneR will remember Rest Haven on DaytonXenia Rd. for fried chicken or Steves on E.First St for cabbage rolls.

By Missing it all!

January 6, 2010 10:15 AM | Link to this

Westward Ho was the best! We went there every Sunday after church with our grandparents. Kettering Village Inn was to die for!! The Grub Steak on Main St. was the best ever steak and ribs! I know they moved South of town, and I understand what with all the “Thugs” around their old location, but it’s just not the same….

By Daytonian

January 6, 2010 8:01 AM | Link to this

What about the PEWTER MUG on First Street. They had the best sauerkraut balls and hamburgers in town.

By Maria

January 5, 2010 10:53 PM | Link to this

Can’t believe no one remembers Westward Ho there were 2 my fav stood next to Old Hickory on Brown, great pies and muffins and incredible deal for Thanksgiving dinner Fav special night out was Daniels Park Row on Patterson still remember their Orange Duck, so tender. For Chinese no place could compare to Keeng WA(?)near Rikes Kettering on Woodman Mu Shu Pork my favorite. Thanks Mark and everyone for the memmories

By denny

January 5, 2010 10:16 PM | Link to this

Two other favorites of mine were the Colony Club and the Black Knight. Always good food, great staff, good entertainmentand good customerrs.

By Red

January 5, 2010 10:15 PM | Link to this

Florentine in Germantown is still open. I remember the Tropics and Keyhole great restaurants and food. Anticolis is now on North Main just south of Englewood. Suttmillers and the King Cole and Rikes restaurant hat memories this article brought.

By Larry

January 5, 2010 10:07 PM | Link to this

Great question. The Peasant Stock was a special place for us and we enjoyed nothing more than dining there and listening to Jim McCutcheon’s guitar on weekends. I still miss the steak au poivre. We. too, liked the Savory. Kitty’s near the Victoria Theatre was a favorite. And the short-lived but fun and inexpensive Crepe Escape in the Oregon District was neat.

By headwaiter

January 5, 2010 2:56 PM | Link to this

Yes, thanks for anyone who remembers the dining room at Rikes/Lazarus. I was a waiter there and worked within the dept. store for the last years it stood. Best recipes of everything in the world, veggie breads,real broc soup,cream of potato, you name it we made it fresh daily, alot of people don’t know just how huge the main product kitchen was! and the best of the best waitstaff in the USA..and the best company I ever worked for..they really cared about us and our customers.

By Rachelle

January 5, 2010 11:27 AM | Link to this

I miss the White Tower- loved their burgers! :)

By dennis

January 5, 2010 10:30 AM | Link to this

Mike’s Chili Parlor on the west side and later in North Dayton. Sure miss the chili dogs and the chili from the ‘60’s.

By Paul

January 5, 2010 9:41 AM | Link to this

Now who remembers the VIRGINIA cafeteria On E. THIRD half a block from MAIN ST? Or CULP’S in the ARCADE? The Virginia burned down in the ‘40. Was rebuild. Heard owner had won money in Irish Sweepstakes to open the place. Or Services Restaurant on E. First. George Service was always there to greet and service you. All places that made you proud to be a Daytonian! STONES GRILL and the COLLEGE INN Both on Main between 1st and 2nd. Packed every working day at noon. BROWN DERBY on N. Main and the PINE CLUB on Main just off IRVING AVE. SEVILLE restaurant on Second. Many more but to old to remember! All long gone but not forgot! Any of you remember them?

By Paul

January 5, 2010 9:25 AM | Link to this

The finest place I can remember was KUNTZ’S CAFE out on TROY ST. Huge two story building with two floors and a dumb-waiter. Had a bar and the first local TV I ever saw. Always packed on the week-ends. Home cooking!!! Nothing fancy!!! Just plain good food and the folks there knew you by name. Building is now tore down and long gone! But it was better than of those chain or so called family restaurants of today! Read it and weep!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Paul

January 5, 2010 9:24 AM | Link to this

And of course there was HIGH VIEW TERRACE just outside of Bellbrook. Only open on weekends. Beautiful setting on the side of a wooded hill that overlooked the village. Served fried chicken and brought it out still hot in the black cast iron skillet it was cooked in. Same way with the sides. Out they came in the cast iron pots they were cooked in. Building still there behind DOT’S SUPERMARKET. Used by a church group today. Went home with your belly full and your purse just a wee-bit smaller. Anyone remember the CAIRILLON (SP-? ) ON PATTERSON BLVD? Or the one at W. Schantz and Patterson Blvd? Also one at SOUTHVIEW CIRCLE and FAR HILLS AVE. Probably more but to old to remember now!

By Paul

January 5, 2010 9:06 AM | Link to this

By chiefwino

January 5, 2010 8:04 AM | Link to this

Point of clarification on my previous post. I did not mean to imply that the Stockyards was closed only that the quality of the food and atmosphere have seriously declined from what it once was.

By KJB

January 5, 2010 7:30 AM | Link to this

I agree with Marcia. The Peasant Stock was a one of a kind restraunt. It was a great place that is missed! There isn’t a restraunt in the Dayton area that can take it’s place.

By null

January 5, 2010 7:27 AM | Link to this

So why was the Stockyards mentioned in a comment board about closed restaurants. I took the building still being there but the food is a memory comment about that place, not BR Scotese’s. The Breakfast Club has a location in Lebanon. Still great brekafasts and butter burgers.

By Phil

January 5, 2010 7:14 AM | Link to this

Village Inn Pizza on Seibenthaler had some of the best pizza in Dayton long before there was a pizza joint on every corner. Along with the Tropics, King Cole,Brown Derby, Rike’s, Key Hole, Hasty Tasty, Parkmore, also a Chinese restaurant downstairs on Ludlow near 2nd st and Betty Greenwoods on Salem and the place on Salem across from Tasty Bird.

By Vandalia/Huber Heights guy

January 5, 2010 12:15 AM | Link to this

Here are a few long gone places that I miss: 1) Waldo Peppers on National Road in Vandalia across from the airport. 2) Mamma E Mia Trattoria located in downtown Dayton under Talbott Tower. Had a great gyro & some of the best homemade potato chips.

By Pam

January 4, 2010 11:06 PM | Link to this

Rike’s used to have in it’s later years, a pineapple bran muffin that looked upside down. I would love to have the recipe. I have combed the net and none of the recipes look like what I am looking for. I was hoping to find someone here responding to the blog that worked in the bakery. Thanks, Pam

By nullMongoose

January 4, 2010 10:59 PM | Link to this

Remember going shopping downtown Dayton and eating at the Purple Cow.

By gary

January 4, 2010 8:21 PM | Link to this

As long as we are going down memory lane. Lets not forget restaurants like the Country Boy that stood where Captain D’s sits on Wilmington and Dorothy Lane and The Parkmoor, an of course I miss my Aunts Katies salads and her catering from Wayne Ave., and the Hideout at Woodburne Plaza

By Diane

January 4, 2010 7:10 PM | Link to this

Aimee P-Anticol’s is closed, but there is still Cafe Anticoli on North Main. Owned by same family. Food is not all the same, but is very close

By imissthosetimes

January 4, 2010 7:07 PM | Link to this

Thanks so much for remembering the waitresses at Elder Beermans…my mom was one of them! I remember going there when I was young, and during the Holiday’s, my mom would take my sisters and I on an annual shopping day with lunch at Beerman’s. And because she worked there, they always treated us extra special. I remember the french onion soup and the roast beef hot shots were my favorite. Oh, how I wish I could relive those memories with my girls now…

By Dutch Uncle

January 4, 2010 7:01 PM | Link to this

Boosalis is in Miamisburg, across from Lexis-Nexis. Springboro is several miles further south.

By pops

January 4, 2010 6:56 PM | Link to this

Tropics on N. Main. Had some very fine meals there. Great Steak. Stockyards on Springfield St. is still my favorite.

By K C

January 4, 2010 6:54 PM | Link to this

Don’t know if the Florentine in Germantown is still open, but back in the 80’s it was right up there with them all. Great, great food.

By Cindy

January 4, 2010 6:35 PM | Link to this

I remember eating at the Rhino for my sister’s birthday, a fancy hamburger place. She ordered the Nigerian nude, a plain hamburger.

By Allen

January 4, 2010 6:23 PM | Link to this

Talk about lobster, lobster at the Tropics, how about the lobster dinner war between the Tropics and the Brown Derby? And before coffee bars and shops you could buy a cup of great coffee, refilled for free, at the Elder Beerman downtown store’s restaurant.

By Aimee P

January 4, 2010 5:52 PM | Link to this

WOW! Talk about a walk down food memory lane. I nearly cried when I heard about Dominic’s closing. What about Duke’s Golden Ox? I lived and worked right by UD and every payday I would place a carry out order and walk to get my dinner. I also remember Quig’s well. Mmmmmm and Peasant Stock. Yum! Didn’t they have a little cafe in the Dayton Mall once upon a time? I remember a cafe that serve a 3 cheese BLT on sourdough bread that was simply divine. I have been out of Dayton for over a decade now-is Anticoli’s still open? I used to love their lasagna.

By teri

January 4, 2010 5:51 PM | Link to this

BIG FOODIE, The restaurant was called Tasty Boy, they had one next to Sears on First St and one at Fifth and Wayne. it was Yummy!!

By bilsbiz

January 4, 2010 5:46 PM | Link to this

does anyone remember Dick’s Fish House out on Third Street? or how about Boyer’s Bar near Third and Wilkinson?one more—-Virginia Cafeteria…phew, goes back many many years(early 50’s)

By Kelly

January 4, 2010 5:40 PM | Link to this

Myung Sung in Huber Heights had the most spectacular potstickers before closing several years back. I’ve never found their equal.

By Greg W.

January 4, 2010 5:40 PM | Link to this

Kettering Village Inn on Far Hills had the best Spaghetti and lasagna ever. After 14 years I can still savor the taste and have not been able to find its equal. Also Hail-n-Hearty on Woodman in Kettering had the best burger ever, just enough mayo, lettuce and cheese on a solid favorful burger.

By Me

January 4, 2010 5:36 PM | Link to this

Goody-Goody’s. Anyone remember?

By hungry

January 4, 2010 5:34 PM | Link to this

Went to Quig’s last week to get chili and a sandwich and it was locked tight…didn’t hear that it closed. One other restaurant I miss is Angi’s in Belmont…best cabbage rolls!

By BLee

January 4, 2010 5:25 PM | Link to this

Really miss Dominic’s and White Tower’s wonderful double butterburgers.

By Andrea

January 4, 2010 5:15 PM | Link to this

BBBBOB - Flying Pizza is still alive and well at 223 N Main Street in the New CareSource PMI Parking Garage.

By sara vandyk

January 4, 2010 5:03 PM | Link to this

Does anyone remember the great hamburgers at the Goody on Salem Avenue back in the 60’s.

By mgoeller

January 4, 2010 4:42 PM | Link to this

Mark, I remember my first real steak, a porterhouse (rare of course)at Suttmillers where my mom and dad took all 8 kids to see Carmel Quinn. Also family outings to see the “The Colleagues” at the Tropics.

By lou

January 4, 2010 4:33 PM | Link to this

Christy’s Alpine Inn in Vandalia. Yes, you can still get Christy’s pizza, but not everything the Inn had.

By MR

January 4, 2010 4:15 PM | Link to this

I sure miss the Upper Krust and the Keyhole along with the China Boy on salem ave along with the Jeds and Ponderosa of long ago.

By BBBBOB

January 4, 2010 4:14 PM | Link to this

What happened to The Flying Pizza? On Main St. if I remember correctly. I remember the sicilian squares there were absolutely fabulous!

By Kevin

January 4, 2010 4:14 PM | Link to this

I miss Dominic’s the most. That stuff in the jar is not even close to the house dressing from the restaurant. But I also miss Bert Rosencrantz’s on Troy Street. They had the best walleye on Friday’s and on Thursday the ribs had a great sauce.

By Lisa

January 4, 2010 4:03 PM | Link to this

The Stockyards Inn is still open.

By Mark Fisher

January 4, 2010 3:59 PM | Link to this

The Stockyards Inn is NOT closed, and I don’t think ChiefWino was implying it was. It is still operating at 1065 Springfield St. in Dayton.

By Louise

January 4, 2010 3:59 PM | Link to this

This is going way back. Remember the Tropics on N. Main St. We went there with friends in the 70’s. You could get a whole lobster dinner for around $6.00.

By Tina M. DeLaet

January 4, 2010 3:46 PM | Link to this

The Keyhole, Dominic’s, Quig’s and Shuckin’ Shack…what great eateries/watering holes!

By Harry

January 4, 2010 3:29 PM | Link to this

I really miss the Boulevard Grill in Beavercreek, Tuscany Grill in Bellbrook and Zola downtown.

By Mimi

January 4, 2010 3:01 PM | Link to this

Neil’s Heritage House…the corn fritters that were brought to the table before the meal was my all-time favorite. And then I always followed those with a creamy chicken over rice. Miss it!

By Big Foodie

January 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Link to this

Yes, Rike’s had a restaurant.I miss going there after school for a coke with friends. I saved up allowance & skipped study hall once a week to hit a small diner down the street from Patterson Co-op HS (can’t remember the name, can anyone help me out?) that served a fried egg toast sandwich w/ mayo to die for. Hey cmpw, “Dukes” in West Carrollton is serving some of the old Dominics dishes.

By Missy

January 4, 2010 2:51 PM | Link to this

I loved, loved, loved the wild mushroom soup at Porches in Oakwood with a slice..or several..of their wonderful bread, finished with a piece of banana fosters cream pie! I also miss the White Chili from the Diner on St. Clair and of course the Kettering Village Inn. Oh what about the Cooker’s mashed potatoes and rolls. And everything from The Breakfast Club downtown..the more I type the hungrier I get…

By null123

January 4, 2010 2:44 PM | Link to this

“Traditions” was Empire Family Restaurants before it was bought and run into the ground by Jerry Office. The cheese soup was fine, indeed. Most of Empire’s food was made in a company-owned commissary and trucked to the individual restaurants. Jerry decided that cheap garbage from Sysco was the way to go.

By scottland

January 4, 2010 2:43 PM | Link to this

Having moved away nearly ten years ago, I find I become easily nostalgic. I grew up at the coffee counter at Woody’s in West Carrollton. Good food, happy atmosphere. Glad I can still get Cassano’s, Hickory BBQ on Brown St. in Dayton, and even Frisch’s when I’m visiting.

By jonbuoy186

January 4, 2010 2:25 PM | Link to this

I see no one mentioned Longo’s spaghetti House,or the Teddy Bear Resturant in Alpha (The best fried chicken in the world).

By null

January 4, 2010 2:13 PM | Link to this

Stockyards is closed? Dang. When did that happen? Gotta agree with BigJack, Steve and Marcia Baker. Miss ‘em all. Another good place now gone is Gartska’s in Bellbrook. Those cabbage rolls were awesome.

By mike

January 4, 2010 2:07 PM | Link to this

I remember those places - and they were excellent! Thanks for reminding me what I miss!

By hank

January 4, 2010 1:59 PM | Link to this

Does no one remember the King Cole? That was a downtown Dayton restaurant! And what about The Tropics and Suttmillers? In their day - they were the best Dayton had to offer, and they were all good!

By null2

January 4, 2010 1:58 PM | Link to this

If you enjoyed Steve Kao’s, try Tsao’s Cuisine at Airway and Grange Hall. The executive chef from Steve Kao’s is the owner. The food is amazing!

By Scott

January 4, 2010 1:53 PM | Link to this

I miss being able to take my family of 4 out to eat without spening %50-$100. We can’t even go to Bob Evans without spending $50. our resolution is to eat out a lot less

By mojo

January 4, 2010 1:44 PM | Link to this

I miss the Kettering Village Inn on Far Hills Ave. Most Fridays, Mom would bring home a $5 pizza with any kind of toppings you could want, like meatballs or crab and shrimp. Quig’s Italian roast beef sub was amazing, I am sad that I won’t get to taste another one.

By Pam

January 4, 2010 1:33 PM | Link to this

Oh my gosh, I remember Guenther’s Linden House ! I must of been about 10 yrs old and my Parents to our family to Guenther’s for a 5 or was it 7 course meal. It was my family’s first time to go to a restaurant that served more than one course lol It was a very rare treat indeed! The onion soup was divine and still love it. Pam

By kls

January 4, 2010 1:30 PM | Link to this

Ivy Lounge on Main near Siebenthaler. Best scampi ever. All the waitresses were amazing with beehive hair-dos like the gals down at the King Cole.

By cmpw

January 4, 2010 12:53 PM | Link to this

Dominic’s. Not that it’s been gone that long, but I sure miss there lasagna!. I don’t remember what my wife would get, but she had garlic coming out of her pours for days. Good food, good times!

By Marcia Baker

January 4, 2010 12:44 PM | Link to this

I miss the Peasant Stock Restaurant formerly in the Town & Country Shopping Center. They served the most wonderful Chicken Cordon Bleu served over a flavorful rice. Great Restaurant, fine service and atmosphere. I was very sorry when it closed.

By Steve

January 4, 2010 12:39 PM | Link to this

The Upper Crust on N. Main and also on Far Hills, with their great sandwiches. Also, Jerry Office’s “Traditions” restaurant with their cheese shoup.

By BigJack

January 4, 2010 12:33 PM | Link to this

Oh, how could I ever forget Scotese’s? They had the best veal in town- it was my favorite dish, bar none, for quite a while!

By BigJack

January 4, 2010 12:30 PM | Link to this

They still have Izzy’s down by the ‘Nati and yes, they have fantastic potato pancakes. I know it’s more recent, but I already miss Dolcessa. The gelato was great, but the panini’s and bubble tea were fantastic too. It was just a little taste of big city life in this little berg and I really loved it.

By chiefwino

January 4, 2010 12:29 PM | Link to this

I agree with the comments about the Savory. In Beavercreek, B.R.Scotese’s spicy tomato-vodka mussel appetizer was always a favorite. The building is still there but the food is only a memory - The Stockyards on Springfield St.

By Terry

January 4, 2010 12:21 PM | Link to this

I miss Cafe Potage… that was in the Santa Clara district. LOVED it. MISS it.

By null

January 4, 2010 12:16 PM | Link to this

Maybe it wasn’t gourmet, but I missed the requisite 2 in the morning (or later)visit to White Tower after a night in the Oregon District. Also the great soup and sandwich (the Turtle soup was awesome) at Quig’s in Kettering and just a great menu finished off by sesame puffs, not fortune cookies, at Happy Palace at Linden just off Woodman.